Here at Alypsis we value skin and the simplicity of nature while taking care of your skin. Nature provides the most pure and simple ingredients to keep our skin healthy and vibrant, and with simple steps we can make sure that our skin stays rejuvenated and youthful all year round. As the cool air begins to creep into the mornings, and the earth shifts into autumn and winter, it is a vital time to take care of your skin. It is incredibly important to lock in moisture now, to prevent cracking and irritation later.
Keep reading for some magical tips to keep your youthful glow through the dull seasons!
One of our favourite ways to keep skin healthy is to make yourself a homemade "At Home Spa Kit" that you can access whenever you start feeling the wintertime blues. If you come home from work and you notice that you skin feels dry or dull, or you need to relax after a stressful and taxing day, this Spa kit will be at your finger tips and can dramatically improve your mood and help to promote skin health. Our skin is our body's first layer of protection from environmental pollutants, and when we take care of our skin it keeps us healthy.
What should you include in your "At Home Spa Kit"? Here are some examples, which you can tailor to your preferences.
- 1/4 cup jojoba and/or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup shea butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa butter
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
- 10-20 drops of essential oils, or dried herbs to infuse such as dried vanilla bean or calendula
- Add all oils (except essential oils) to a double boiler, and melt at medium high heat stirring frequently. When oil mixture has fully melted, remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes, add dried herbs if using at this point and let steep, or stir in essential oils instead. Put this oil mixture in the fridge for 1-2 hours until the top has solidified mostly. Whip with a beater or stand mixer starting on low for 2-3 minutes and then whipping on high for 3 minutes or until the consistency of frosting is achieved.Spoon the body butter mixture into cleaned and sanitized jars, and store in a cool place for up to 1 year.
- For dry and sensitive skin: Kaolin clay, dried calendula flowers ground in a mortar and pestle until soft, helichrysum essential oil, ylang ylang essential oil, and St. John's wort oil.
- For medium skin: Bentonite clay, 1/4 of a fresh avocado mashed, dried lavender flowers ground in a mortar and pestle until soft, jasmine essential oil, lavenderessential oil, raspberry seed oil, evening primrose oil.
- For oily skin: Moroccan red clay/bentonite clay, fresh rosemary and dried lemon peel ground in a mortar and pestle until soft, grapefruit essential oil, cypress essential oil, grapefruit seed extract, sea buckthorn oil. Mix with water until a thick paste forms.
- For all above clay mask recommendations: Mix with water until a thick paste forms, and apply to face and neck for 15 minutes, wash off with warm water before clay fully dries to not pull too much moisture from skin
- Alypsis's The Rose Knows moisturizing oil is an amazing facial and body oil with rejuvenating and skin sensitive oils that promote brightness and lustre
- Alypsis's Holy Nerolimoisturizing oil is a facial and body oil that targets aging skin and helps to promote elasticity, scar healing, and brightness.
- Alypsis's All That Jazzmine moisturizing oil is a refreshing and bright body and facial oil that lightens, lifts, and promotes firm and smooth skin.
- All of the above oils are fantastic body oils and will keep your skin thoroughly moisturized between showers/baths. They can also be warmed between the hands and used as a sensual massage oil.
- If you want a relaxing bath: add rose and lavender essential to your bath or shower (you can spray it on the wall or tub, or add several drops in your tub during a shower)
- If you want a rejuvenating bath: add eucalyptus essential oil or hang dried eucalyptus over your shower head, the oil will help you to breathe deeply
- If you want an awakening bath: add rosemary and grapefruit essential oil for a boost of energy, focus and productivity
- If you want a gentle and sweet bath: add geranium, jasmine, rose and/or litsea cubeba essential oils, the floral scents of these oils will help you to relax and feel invigorated. This is also an aphrodisiac blend that can help you to feel confident and open to affection.
When you have all parts of your custom spa kit together it is time to assemble in and put it in a basket, wooden box, photo box, or some other container that you can store and organize all of your self-care tools in. The next time that you want a luxury bath experience all you need to do is grab a few towels and your spa kit and then you are in for an evening of luxury and self-care. You can also make luxury spa kits as gifts for others, or pamper your partner with.
Follow along with us for more info on how to love your body and take better care of your skin!